Want to catch up?

Curious about the creation/purpose of this blog?
Click here for clarification.


Friday, October 21, 2011

An Unexpected Lesson

I had mentally prepared myself for this week for a long time, as in 
"This is the week I will finally practice piano/voice!"


False.
This week I have devoted no time whatsoever to my creative "talents"- although ironically, I did play in our ward talent show last night so I guess Superbass counts for something. 

But really, I've thought a lot about this and realized that maybe my best talents aren't the ones I can perform on a stage or put on a resume. Our greatest gifts are the ones we use to bless the lives of others. These are the things we should be working on cultivating in ourselves. 

So... me? I'm a listener. 
I have the ability to always put hearing your problems above other things... like sleep... and I can give you an awesome pep talk. I have the talent of being real. I'm a thinker and a writer and a learner and a planner and a laugher/crier. I'm good at getting people excited about things or being a friend. 

That's about it. All my other tricks are pretty superficial in comparison. 

And what are the talents I WANT to develop? As much as I'd like to say otherwise... it's not piano. 
I want to carry an aura of peace. I want to be able to make people feel special, to leave them feeling better than when I found them. These are the things that are most important to me right now. 


I might not ever look too impressive on paper. But can you really put a premium on plain old nice-ness? (The people I want to be like don't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment